Thursday, August 20, 2009

The wonderful thing about jerk sauce...

...is jerk sauce is a wonderful thing!

The not-so-wonderful thing is it has a tendency to look a bit brownish grey and dirt like. It makes it hard to see when my shrimp are nicely pink and opaque in the pan. Still, this is a pretty minor point when you balance it against the yum that happens. I'm happy to have had some left over. I had chopped large diagonals of scallions--scallions so thick they looked more like little leeks than anything. They must've been as big around as my ring fingers. I don't know if that changes the flavor any; I would think it should, but I haven't noticed it.

We served the shrimp on top of basmati rice, cooked in chicken stock and mixed with edemame and diced mango. Darling Husband brought grilled pineapple from Wegman's that had been brushed with a sweet chili sauce. It was wonderful! I loved the carmelization, the sweet and the heat. Fantastic.

So it was a pretty great dinner, all around.

3 comments:

  1. Question: Where does jerk sauce get its name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know! I have found a few references to a native word for dried meat, which was taken by colonizing forces to the West Indies, Jamaica and other islands. It was supposedly embraced there as a way of flavoring and preserving meat. Not sure as to the accuracy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! That set me on the right track. The South American Indian word meaning "to burn or to dry meat" is Charqui. From this we get the words for beef jerky and also Jamaican jerk meat. Apparently the process of making Jamaican jerk meat is very similar to the way the South American Indians prepared their dried meat, except that the Jamaicans leave off the final step of drying the product in the sun.

    ReplyDelete