Saturday, November 28, 2009

Leftover treasure

Darling Husband, Baby Girl and I don't make Thanksgiving dinner. Instead, we travel to my parents and both sides of Darling Husband's family- that's THREE Thanksgivings. I used to think that when we had children we'd whittle that down, but it hasn't happened yet. We're too excited to see everyone and show off our little girl to cut one out. It has up sides and down sides. It also means that we don't get much in the way of left overs unless someone packs them up and gives them to us. (I know someone who roasts their own turkey expressly for leftovers, though they eat dinner at a relative's house. I think that's overkill, myself.)

That being said, I've come up with a list of left over gems for you, my dear reader, to stave off hum drum turkey sandwich blahs.

Turkey:
  • Gumbo
  • Turkey Waldorf salad
  • Hash
  • Panini sandwiches
  • Cheddar tortilla soup
  • Fajitas
  • Pot pie
  • Chef salad

Potatoes:
  • Potato pancakes
  • Potato cakes
  • Shepherd's pie
  • Gnocci
  • Perogi filling
  • Potato soup (possibly with bacon and/or leeks)

Cranberry sauce:
  • Reduced down as a glaze for pork tenderloin
  • On baguette with brie

Stuffing:
  • Okay, if you made good stuffing, you wouldn't have any leftovers.

Rolls:
  • Breakfast strata
  • Savory bread pudding
  • Sweet bread pudding
  • Garlic croutons
  • Fresh breadcrumbs

This year, the only leftovers we're expecting is some home made turkey stock. I plan to freeze it in ice cube trays, then use it to make risotto or to flavor rice.

Hope this list helps! Feel free to add comments of your own ingenious ideas for left over turkey day fixins.

No comments:

Post a Comment