Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chocolate covered endive

What would you do if you had to make a meal out of chocolate, endive, canadian bacon, tomatillos and refrigerated dinner roll dough? If you were Darling Husband, you would make endive and canadian bacon empinadas with mole.

He stuffed the empinadas with queso fresco, lardons of canadian bacon and sauteed endive with cumin. The mole was made with sauteed dried arbol chiles and pureed tomatillos combined with shaved chocolate, to which he added cinnamon, cayenne and salt.

The dough was delicious, with not quite melty cheese in it. The endive is licoricy, and almost a little bitter. The lardons of canadian bacon are crunchy, salty and sweet all at once. Together, it was homey and exciting. The mole was a little salty for my taste, but I loved the chocolate. Tomatillos look like green tomatoes and are sour and fresh tasting. If it had been me, I might've added more chocolate and allowed it to be a bit sweet. I think it would probably be less mole-like that way, though, so it seems I'm just not the target demographic for mole.

Which reminds me, several Valentine's Days ago, Darling Husband and I had a fancy dinner out where they served filet mignon with melted milk chocolate. It was surprisingly delicious.

I wonder if Darling Husband will have anything to say about his tasty dish...

2 comments:

  1. Although I'd certainly try it if it were served to me, I don't think I'd have the courage to order steak with melted milk chocolate in a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually punched up the saltiness of the mole a little bit. I may have overdone it... :-/ Early on, I felt like it was TOO chocolatey, too sweet, a little cloying, so I added more heat and salt to cut it. And actually, the roll dough ended up having a lot of sweetness of its own, so I feel like it would've been nearly dessert with the sauce as it was. Dessert with... um... ham. ;-)

    But, different strokes... Anne Burrell would've been proud. :)

    ReplyDelete